Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Why, yes, those are my pointy ears...

In two days, I leave behind my family to drive 6 hours to LA for a weekend of fangirly fun. I'm not driving alone, thank goodness. A very good friend is driving the couple hours to my house and then I'm taking both of us down. Thursday night, we're parking our butts in seats to watch Wicked, and then on Friday, we go check in at the Grand Slam Sci-Fi Summit. What's this? A sci-fi convention? Yep. A weekend of sanctioned celebrity staring.

I started going to cons after I got hooked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. At first, it was about the excitement of seeing the actors I adored so much in person, but now, four years on, it's about a weekend of just letting loose and hanging out with the friends I've made in the fandom.

This weekend, I'm crashing at a friend's apartment, along with half a dozen other women who have been brought together by this love for a TV show. I only get to see most of them once a year, but honestly, these are some of the most wonderful people I've ever met. For four days, we hang out, fangirl over gorgeous men, dish on all the things we loved and hated about our cancelled show, and just let loose. I don't get to do that very often. I've got two kids, 8 and 6, which means lots of little things always demanding my attention. Getting to escape for this weekend means a few days of letting those responsibilities go. Recharging. Relaxing.

Of course, Pepper isn't thrilled because our writing time gets cut into. But I'm flying to Utah at the end of the month to stay with her for a week for her graduation, so I figure it all shakes out in the end.

Besides, I know for a fact that if she lived closer, she'd go with me. Leonard Nimoy? Brent Spiner? James Marsters? All in one place? In a heartbeat.

So what do you do to recharge?

No comments: