Thursday, April 17, 2008

Writer's Block: Time travel

Question: If you could travel in time, which era would you visit and why?

I love time travel stories, which is weird because I'm not really that keen on historicals, lol. But I think it's because of my fascination of the theme of stranger in a strange land. Feeling like a fish out of water and learning to adjust. Then there's the whole issue of time manipulation. I hate to think about the science of it because it gives me a headache, but the notion of getting to go back and relive parts of your life, or visit a new era, just makes me want to pull out my wallet and buy blindly.

Where would I go if I could? I'm torn, actually. I love the romance of the 30s and 40s, but I would have hated to be a war widow. I love the music and the arts and the way of thinking, but then there's that whole American Depression thing. Still, I think even with all the cons, a major city like New York in the 30's would be my first choice.

Second choice...Scotland before the 1745 Jacobite revolution. I love the Scottish Highlands, so much so that it's probably the only truly cold place I'd consider settling down. I've always felt an affinity for them, most likely because of my love for rolling mountains. To get to experience the wild highlands and the simplicity of life before the Battle of Culloden would be amazing. I'd even be okay with the lack of a lot of modern conveniences. Going back to that time and place just feels...right. Who knows? Maybe I was a Scottish lass in a previous life. ;)

Where would you like to go?

No comments: