1. In the spirit of giving, Ann Aguirre is sponsoring a charity fundraiser to help raise money for the children hit by the cyclone in Myanmar. She is offering to give away free books if you make a donation.
2. EREC is sponsoring a first line contest. Head over and vote for your favorite first line!
3. In the interest of the pretty, artist Michael Breyette finished new works this week called Restraint: Caged, Fenced, Walled. He specializes in erotic gay art, so please be warned, these are NSFW.
4. Hostage, an anthology from MLR Press, feature Josh Lanyon, Laura Baumbach, and Sarah Black is Now available at Barnes and Noble. It looks super hot.
5. A New-Found Species of Spiders is named after Neil Young. No lie.
A sneaky spider has been named in honor of rock musician Neil Young.
Jason Bond, a biologist at East Carolina University, named a newly discovered arachnid, Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi. It is also known as a trapdoor spider.
"There are rather strict rules about how you name new species," Bond said. "As long as these rules are followed you can give a new species just about any name you please."
6. If you enjoy alt-country (Wilco, Ryan Adams, Sun Volt, Uncle Tupelo, etc), then you should check out Atherton. I met a few of the members at a Wilco concert when one of them offered to take my picture with Jeff Tweedy. Anyway, their album Skyline Motel is great. You can hear samples of their tracks here.
7. Bam has posted Part 2 of Forsaken.